DONATE TO NAFASI
HOW YOU CAN HELP US GROW THE CONTEMPORARY ART SCENE IN EAST AFRICA
WHY WE NEED YOU TO DONATE TO NAFASI
We’ve grown to become one of the leading art spaces in East Africa, however we are constantly struggling for funding. While we’re often able to find partners and grants for the exciting projects, like selected artist residencies, our new academy, one-off events and the like, the day to day running costs are much harder to find. Over the years we’ve become very good at managing on very little, so we have no expenses to cut, but without managing to keep the lights on and staff paid all our wonderful projects will cease to exist.
The lack of a strong art market and public support for the arts here in Tanzania means we can’t raise much from our participating artists — in fact, providing them with space to work, share and learn is one of our key drivers in an economic climate which makes being a sustainable artist very challenging. Even so, we’ve managed to raise our earned income to 17% of our actual running costs, which we are very proud of.
What we are hoping for is that our audiences far and wide can help us to meet the short fall, so that we can continue this flow of work that seems to be getting us and our contributing artists some recognition.
We know it’s not sexy to help on the day to day running costs in comparison to helping to fund a high profile project, but it’s actually the key to making all these projects work.
So whether you can donate $1, $100 or $1000, we would be so grateful. Our current shortfall for this year is around $12,000.
- 60+ artists work at Nafasi every day
- Approximately 25 artists per year participate in the Artist Residency programme
- Around 10 community/school outreaches and 12 public art workshops are conducted each year
- 9-12 interns are trained in arts management each year
- 20+ workshops for artists are hosted at Nafasi each year
- Audiences of more than 26,000 visited Nafasi Art Space in 2018
- 3 partnerships with other independent art centers across Africa help Tanzanian artists network across the continent
- 17% of Nafasi’s budget comes from self-generated revenue, from commissions on artwork sales, venue rentals, membership contributions, etc
BECOME A FRIEND OF NAFASI
DONATE TO NAFASI VIA MOBILE
For those who would like to donate to Nafasi via local Tanzanian mobile payments, it couldn’t be easier.
Any amount from as little as 500 TSh will be amazingly helpful. It’s all these small sums which add up to making us sustainable. Whatever you can send, be sure we’re very grateful for your support.
We have a paybill/merchant number and a Masterpass QR code – both work equally well.
GET YOUR NAME IN LIGHTS
Donate to Nafasi via our bank – to help with funding our general expenses which we will recognise by putting your name on our list of valued donors, here on our website.
Ideas for expenses you can fund in this way:
- Fund a public art workshop @ $100
- Keep the internet on for a month @ $200
- Pay one of our key staff for a month @ $500
- Pay the expenses for one of our big events/exhibitions @ $1,000
- Pay our running and programme costs for a full month @ $12,000
If you’d like to help in this way, please complete this form below and we will get back to you with our bank details, instructions and a big thank you!