Nafasi Art Space is a cultural center for contemporary visual and performing arts based in Mikocheni B Dar es Salaam, Tanzania with the aim of enriching lives and building community through the arts. Nafasi seeks to improve access to and widen participation in contemporary arts in Tanzania.
Nafasi Art Space offers regular programmes including training and workshops, art talks, artist residencies, and public events, such as film screenings, exhibitions, concerts, festivals, and public art fairs. The space hosts studio and workshop spaces and multiple galleries and performance platforms. On average, Nafasi attracts more than 1000 visitors every month. Since 2020, Nafasi also provides grants to artistic initiatives via its FEEL FREE grant programme and intensive artistic development programmes via the Nafasi Academy and other trainings.
- Nafasi is looking for an intern for the Marketing and Operations Department to begin working from September 2022 in the area of: Reception and Customer Service. We are seeking an energetic person to join our passionate team. The ideal candidate would be passionate arts advocate, hard worker and keen learner who will work with programme managers and to ensure smooth implementation of communication and provide reception and related support services. Receive visitors/ guests as well as ensure the efficient reception, processing and distribution of postal and telephone communications.
- Undertake all receptionist and clerical duties at the desk of Nafasi Art Space’s main entrance
- Receive guests and give tours, ensuring smooth, friendly and professional communication with Nafasi’s visitors
- Schedule meetings for Nafasi Team based on visitor/guest requests
- Maintain Nafasi’s general email and phone communication, responding in a timely manner to general inquiries and requests and forwarding specific inquiries to the appropriate departments
- Ensure information on upcoming events and current programmes are available and accessible at all times at the reception
- Assist in the Merchandise and Print shop next to the Reception as needed
- Oversee daily set up and takedown of required materials and equipment in the reception area, and report damage or losses of fixtures, keys, equipment or furniture
- Maintain inventory of Reception Area materials, equipment, artwork, etc.
- Ensure maintenance and cleanliness of the Reception Area, reporting any issues to the supervisor
- Act as the primary point of contact and communication for guests during public events and programmes
- Support the collection of photos, videos and other documentation related to Nafasi’s Reception, Customer Service, and Hospitality activities
- Other duties may be performed, if need arises, with approval of the director and programme Manager
– Passion and commitment to promoting and supporting contemporary visual arts in East Africa
– Interest and motivation for learning about arts and culture in Tanzania and East Africa.
– Strong writing and communication skills in English or Kiswahili (fluency in both preferred)
– Tanzanian citizenship or permanent residence (no work/residence permit required)
The internship is an unpaid position; however, the selected candidate will receive a daily stipend of 10,000 TSH toward food and transport, paid weekly on Fridays.
Interns receive valuable practical training and experience from a highly-qualified team
Interns at Nafasi often go on to receive paid work opportunities either at Nafasi or with other partner organisations after their internship ends.
Interns who complete the three-month internship will receive a certificate of completion and a positive reference letter to assist with future work opportunities
Job Location: Mikocheni B, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Period of internship: 3 months, possible to renew for an additional 3-months period
Expected start date: 2 September 2022
Hour/day requirements: Full time (9am – 5pm, Mon – Fri, plus Saturdays/evenings for special events)
Reports to: Marketing and Operation Manager
To apply, please send your C.V. (no more than 2 pages) and cover letter to email@example.com by 31 August 2022. Only candidates under consideration for the position will be contacted for an interview.