Nafasi Art Space (NAS) was founded in 2008 by a small group of Tanzanian Artists with the aim of improving access to and widening participation in contemporary arts in Tanzania. We are now Tanzania’s leading centre for contemporary visual and performing arts. Nafasi is a vibrant community of artists, musicians, dancers, performers and technicians, based in the industrial area of Mikocheni B, Dar es Salaam.
Nafasi Art Space offers regular programmes including training and workshops, art talks, artist residencies, and public events, such as film screenings, exhibitions, concerts, festivals, and public art fairs. The space hosts studio and workshop spaces and multiple galleries and performance platforms. On average, Nafasi attracts more than 1000 visitors every month. Since 2020, Nafasi also provides grants to artistic initiatives via its FEEL FREE grant programme.
Nafasi’s platform has generated an organic ecosystem where the arts community can thrive, enabling artistic and cultural entrepreneurship for many young Tanzanians.
SANAA PAMOJA is a new initiative by Nafasi Art Space and its partners designed to benefit the Tanzanian creative industry via dialogues, exchanges & collaborations, and building strong arts platforms in Tanzania and across the world.
The project is funded by the Ignite Culture grant from EU-ACP ‘Ignite Culture’ 2022. With this opportunity, Nafasi is looking for creative ways to bring different artistic disciplines together to create a thriving creative community that supports the development of new work and innovative programming for visual and performing arts.
“Ignite Culture” is a project that aims to facilitate cultural and creative sectors in 14 East African countries. This East Africa-funded grant is part of the ACP-EU International Cultural Plan implemented by HEVA, in partnership with British Council Kenya, made possible by the European Union’s financial contribution, and with further support from the ACP (Africa, States) of the Caribbean and the Pacific.
The overarching goal of this project is to contribute to the economic and social development of East African nations, through the growth and development of the cultural and creative sectors especially involving the following aspects:
– Strengthen the creative and cultural ecosystem in which actors and organizations operate in East Africa
– Improve access to and visibility of various creative and cultural sectors in East Africa
– Promoting the economic growth of the creative and cultural sector in the East African region.
Committed to presenting and producing multidisciplinary arts programming since 2009, Nafasi Art Space will call their project “SANAA PAMOJA” and is excited to implement this project with partners such as Tanzania Bora Initiative, the National Museum of Tanzania, Museum Art Explosion, and Zanzibar International Film Festival, among others.
Overview of the position
The Monitoring and Evaluation Officer (M&E Officer) will be providing support in monitoring and evaluating ongoing SANAA PAMOJA project and in general will assist the SANAA PAMOJA Coordinator. He/She will also be fully integrated in the NAS team and will contribute and assist in developing and coordinating strong M&E procedures and processes for the organization overall.
In particular, the person will be responsible for overall M&E and learning needs of the project and will come up with findings based on real data to show performance of the project, always linking them to the overall impact of NAS intervention. M&E of the projects will be an assessment as well as support function hence the implementing partners will get support through M&E findings in enhancing flow of information and activities management. M&E Officer will play role in promoting of key learning and accountability for the improvement of the SANAA PAMOJA project and for wider leaning of the partners organization and of NAFASI ART SPACE.
Duty station: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
● To supervise regular data collection through implementing partners and ensure quality of the data
● To record, manage and preserve monitoring and evaluation data in a safe and accessible way
● To analyse and discuss findings based on regular monitoring meetings with the SANAA PAMOJA team and the NAS team
● Provide technical support on M&E and evidence-based recommendations to the SANAA PAMOJA team and the NAS team
● Support in the implementation of partner activities adheres to SANAA PAMOJA monitoring and evaluation plan
● Participate actively in programme planning process and budgeting of the programme quality
● Support SANAA PAMOJA Coordinator in developing the narrative reports of activities and assist also NAS focal points in reporting activities
● Support SANAA PAMOJA Coordinator in dealing with any other tasks as may be required.
1.1 Support in developing SANAA PAMOJA project M&E plan and NAS M&E framework
1.2 Coordinate with SANAA PAMOJA team and NAS team for collecting and manage essential data against agreed indicators
1.3 Ensure quality of data collected by SANAA PAMOJA team and NAS team
2.1 Assist SANAA PAMOJA coordinator in designing, coordinating and conducting project evaluations or surveys (mid-term and end-line)
3. Reporting and Documentation
3.1 Assist SANAA PAMOJA coordinator and NAS focal points in compiling narrative and financial reports
3.2 Keep update and well organize the shared documentation of the SANAA PAMOJA project
4.1 Assist SANAA PAMOJA coordinator and Partners in updating the workplan and in following up the budget in collaboration with the Finance Manager
5. Learning and Sharing
5.1 Share learning from M&E process with SANAA PAMOJA team and NAS team 5.2 Support SANAA PAMOJA team and NAS team in improving learning and sharing mechanisms in their projects
6. Contribution to Effectiveness of the SANAA PAMOJA project
6.1 Work collaboratively with different partners and NAS staff for strengthening integration and cross-learning in the project
6.2 Show an eagerness to take on any other tasks assigned by the SANAA PAMOJA coordinator
SKILLS AND COMPETENCE:
● Masters’ degree in any social science discipline or equivalent experience
● Knowledge and understanding of project monitoring and evaluation
● Understanding of the current M&E trends and especially M&E systems in
● Minimum 2 years’ experience in monitoring and evaluation
● Experience of data collection and quality surveys
● Experience of report writing
● Good command over report writing in English
● Good interpersonal skills (especially conflict management)
● Excellent computer knowledge
● Time management and ability to prioritize multiple tasks
● Self-motivated person able to work without close supervision
● Able to work effectively in a diverse team environment
● Rights to live and work in Tanzania
● Spoken and written kiSwahili and English skills
How to Apply
Please send your CV and motivation letter in PDF format with the files titled with your name and “NAFASI ART SPACE M&E” to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject of the email should also be your name and “NAFASI ART SPACE M&E”.
Job Type: Consultancy contract – 9 months with possibility for renewal. Salary: 1,500,000 – 2,000,000 gross depending on experience
Deadline to apply: 2 September 2022
Candidates selected for interview will be contacted by 9 September 2022.