Job Title – Operations and Marketing Manager
Our organisation was established in 2008, Nafasi Art Space is a cultural centre for contemporary visual and performing arts in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Nafasi is a working ground for the arts, as well as a place for learning, exchange, and sharing artistic work with the public and is known for being one of the most vibrant and active cultural centres in the region. The vision of Nafasi is to further and enrich human potential through the medium of contemporary arts.
Nafasi is looking for an Operations and Marketing Manager as per 1 February 2022. We are seeking an energetic person to join our small but passionate team. The ideal candidate will help Nafasi become a sustainable creative hub with premier operational management, increased self-generated revenue, long-term strategic partnerships with businesses and patrons, and a productive and engaged team and artist community, with broad public engagement and visibility.
The Operations and Marketing Manager is a senior executive tasked with overseeing the day-to-day administrative and operational functions of a business, ensuring smooth operations of internal affairs as well as the outward facing marketing and communications of the company’s identity and impact. The position is highly contextual and multidimensional. The Operations and Marketing Manager is in charge of making sure that the organisation and its programmes are running as smoothly, cost-effectively and efficiently as possible. It is a central leadership role that works with all departments and divisions within the organisation to help them define process, coordinate and work towards shared goals. The role thus defines the on-going, long-term, repetitive outputs of Nafasi, and is responsible for monitoring and improving those systems over time.
The Operations and Marketing Manager is one of the top decision-making roles in the organisation. It combines operational, strategic and process-focused skillsets to ensure that the organisation and its programmes are operating efficiently, have clearly defined procedures and policies, is operating within its financial limits and is on-track to meet performance targets. The Operations and Marketing Manager also oversees the public-facing communications of the organization, including digital communications channels.
The role requires exceptional skills in being able to co-conceptualize marketing/communications and operating process simultaneously. He/she is capable of wearing multiple different hats, these include: Problem Solving, by identifying and addressing operating problems and opportunities; Management and Strategy, managing the operations, planning, reporting and reviewing of the company’s needs; System Design, in developing standard operational policies and procedures for the company; and Operations Management Duties, which oversee and manage the long-term operating policies and processes of the company.
• Direct operational and marketing management and strategy of the company.
• Oversee operations, coordinating with HR and accounting, and work across departments to ensure smooth and effective internal communications
• Collaborate with the director in setting and driving organizational vision, operational strategy, and hiring needs
• Build strong relationships with other members of the team and artist community
• Provide strategic recommendations to the director
2. Operational Management Duties
• Monitor performance with tracking and establish corrective measures as needed, and prepare detailed reports, both current and forecasting
• Direct marketing and communications for departmental teams (visual and performing arts, and partnerships)
• Ensure timely preparation, presentation and reporting of accurate historical operational and marketing information of the company, including quarterly operational reports for the company,
• Ensure effective internal controls are defined and are in compliance with all applicable regulatory legislation
• Help oversee and control company costs.
3. Operational Strategy Duties
• Model, evaluate and plan the company’s future with the director. The candidate must be able to identify and report what areas of a company are most efficient and impactful and where optimization can occur.
• Develop performance measures and monitoring systems that support the company’s strategic direction
4. Operations Management
• Oversee operations of the company, including project and/or grant management for specific programmes/projects in alignment with donor requirements and contracts.
• Design and implement business operations strategies, plans, and procedures.
• Analyze internal operations and identify areas for improvement
• Translate strategy into actionable goals for performance and growth helping to implement organization-wide goal setting, performance management, and annual operating planning
• Oversee employee productivity and satisfaction, building a highly inclusive culture ensuring team members thrive and organizational outcomes are met,
• Establish policies that promote company vision and culture
• Help oversee the work of employees from various departments (Office, Visual Arts, Performing Arts, Marketing).
• Assist director with fundraising.
• Collaborate with the director on long-term plans for organisational growth.
• Act as a mentor to junior employees.
• Motivate staff to meet organizational goals.
Education and Experience
• Degree in business, finance, or economics
• 3-5 years of experience in arts startup and/or corporate settings
• Leadership skills, with professional and personal integrity
• Be able to diagnose problems quickly and have foresight into potential issues
• A pro-active personality who brings a spirit of enthusiasm, self-motivation and positivity to the workplace and is not discouraged by challenges. A person who thrives from creative problem-solving in an interdisciplinary setting will thrive
• Embraces the role of being both learner and teacher of your colleagues.
• Good personal organizational and priority setting skills, with the ability to work effectively under time pressure and manage multiple priorities.
• Capable of working independently as well as being an effective team player, with initiative and creativity.
• Good interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to effectively interact with people in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment.
• Values the sharing of information and continuous improvement in a cooperative atmosphere of constructive evaluation and learning.
Job Location: Mikocheni B, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Period of contract: 2 years, with potential for renewal based on job performance
Expected start date: As soon as possible, latest 1 February 2022
Hour/day requirements: Full time (9am – 5pm, Mon – Fri, plus Saturdays/evenings for special events)
Remuneration: 2,300,000 gross
Reports to: Director
To apply, please send your C.V. (no more than 2 pages) and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org before 25 January 2022 . Only candidates under consideration for the position will be contacted for an interview.